Our first successful campaign (with a target of £10,000 ) was for Hospice Care North Northumberland. We succeeded in raising £12,868 over a six month period.
After we reached the target Peter Slee, the chairman of trustees described it as a “tremendous achievement”. He said: “The Jam Jar Army has really caught on. We want to say a huge thankyou to all those who have enlisted by filling their jam jars, whether at home, at work or out shopping. Hospice Care is here for local people who need our services all over North Northumberland and it’s good to know that local people are willing to do their bit to help us, even when times are hard.”
10 things you should know about our first featured charity…
- HospiceCare is the most northerly Hospice in England with centres in Alnwick & Berwick, and was founded in 1995.
- It serves a community of 57,000 in one of the most sparsely populated rural areas in England.
- Its annual running costs are around £300,000 – that’s £1250 per working day or £3.00 per working minute.
- It receives just 15% of its annual costs from the NHS, and has to raise about a quarter of a million pounds each year from the local community & other sources.
- Their team of over 100 volunteers save them over £55,000 per year.
- The hospice centres provide care and support for over 250 patients & their families each year, – that’s an increase of 100% in the last two years!
- Despite their catchment area containing the largest percentage of people over 65 years in the Northeast, the demand for appointments for the 30+ age group is increasing.
- The Hospice at Home service helps provide short term respite for patients & their families together with expert end of life care at home.
- The Bereavement Support Service is available to all – even those who have had no previous contact with the Hospice.
- It is a truly local charity providing a unique invaluable service to the local community.
You can find out more about HospiceCare North Northumberland on their website